Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Eye Update for Both Girls

So today was a long and eventful day for our girls. My mom picked up Kaitlyn from school at 10:30 so she could come home and eat lunch before we hit the road for Duke. Both girls had an appointment at the Eye clinic today at 1:15. Kyleigh played the whole way there and Kaitlyn took a much needed nap. While there both girls did an amazing job of cooperating with the doctor. She was able to get a very accurate check of their eye pressures. Both girls have pressures in the low 20's which is high comparatively but stable for them. She also looked at their optic nerve and said they look very healthy indeed. Kyleigh's corneas were crystal clear which is another indication that pressure is good. Although Kaitlyn has had a "wobbly" left eye recently it is nothing related to the pressure which is great news. It is most likely the weak muscle and her overuse of the right eye in comparison to her left. It is definitely time for new glasses for Kaitlyn so we will visit Dr. Young in Greensboro next week to get her fitted for new specks. Kyleigh's vision is improving as well. She is becoming less far sighted and her prescription is getting better but we didn't need to change her glasses just yet. She needs to get more accustomed to wearing them constantly first. They tested Kyleigh's vision today using chart boards that had a grey background and squares with black/white stripes. Each board they showed her the square got smaller and the stripes got closer together in proximity and the black/white got lighter. It was amazing to watch her look and find the contrasting blocks. She did great. It was obvious when we reached the board where she could no longer detect the presence of a different shade. Dr. Freedman was impressed that based on this evaluation today she is finally on the chart for visual acuity. She is not on the normal curve yet but to be on the chart is better than being off the chart. YIPPEEE---go Kyleigh!!!

We are also in the process of breaking Kyleigh's attachment to her pacifier. As most of you know she cannot have it post surgery of the cleft palate and now that is literally just around the corner. She still needs it a large portion of the day. Today she had it in the car and at the doctor appointment. But she did well playing in between those times and not having it attached to her clothing again until bed time tonight. So we shall see how long this process takes. Pray for her and us as we enter this battlefield!

1 comment:

Sissy said...

I am glad that everything went well, and that Kyleigh is progressing. I remember getting my glasses when I was three and liking how much better I could see. My right eye is the stronger one (the left one crosses after I fell off our bathroom counter and landed on my head...nerve damage) and I can certainly tell that when I have my glasses off.

I recently got trained to do vision screenings for our school, but we only learned how to do them for kids 4 and up. It would be interesting to see how they do it for infants. I find it fascinating. And yes, I know I'm weird.

And I love you guys...you know that right? I know we don't get to talk much, but I am very thankful that you are in my life. It just seemed like it was the time of year to tell you that!

style="background: url(http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ready-or-nautical-free-blog-background-3C.jpg) center top fixed no-repeat !important;">

Followers