Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Out of Surgery

Kyleigh came out of surgery around 10:15am. This time they did not call me back to the recovery room and I was get very anxious. Instead, at almost 11:45 am I went to ask how much longer and they told me that she was fixing to be wheeled out and transported to her room. Really? Seems crude that they didn't allow me to come back to her this time. She had been upset and crying. Not to mention they tried to feed her pedialyte using a regular bottle nipple that comes with the small Similac bottles and this only made her more angry. Instead, if they had called me back to the room I had her Haberman feeder and she could have taken the pedialyte with much more ease. As we made our way to the room I almost had it out with one of the nurses. It was all I could do to keep my calm. She kept making comments about how she couldn't understand why I needed to change the bottle and why she wouldn't keep the paci in her mouth and on and on. I almost blew my top. But instead, I just said she has a soft cleft palate as noted in her chart and it's like sucking through a straw with a hole for her, she can't manage it like normal babies without a cleft. The nurse rolled her eyes. I thought "Bring it ON" but I just held it together. Then we found out they were taking us back to the Bone Marrow Transplant floor to the same room as last time, a very sterile uninviting floor for patients that are not in need of intensive care treatment. Anyways, as we prepare to enter by putting on the "blue shoes" and washing our hands the same nurse tells Dennis to open the second door. However, this nurse hadn't gone through the precautions that all of us had done and seen other nurse do. So Dennis politely told her, "I'll open the door after you wash your hands". I think she was taken back to have a civilian tell her to wash her hands, I mean she should have known better. Anyways, we are in the room now and awaiting consultation with the speech therapist for her feeding. She is resting well as long as someone is holding her. Praying for a good night for both of us.

3 comments:

Sissy said...

Glad all is well. Sad they didn't treat you better.

Jennifer Stone said...

I've been keeping up with all your updates...so glad both eye surgeries are over now. I'm so sorry you've been through some stressful encounters, with the eye drops, and then the nurse. Good for you for keeping your cool and turning to God immediately in prayer! You rock! What a witness you and Dennis are being to the hospital staff. Love you.

KIM said...

Thinking fo you! I am so glad that the surgeries have gone well. You are a better person than I to keep your cool...good for you. I'll keep praying!

style="background: url(http://thecutestblogontheblock.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ready-or-nautical-free-blog-background-3C.jpg) center top fixed no-repeat !important;">

Followers